Safeguarding the Civil Liberties of the Elderly
Residents Rights in Nursing Homes & Assisted Living Facilities
Residents of nursing homes and assisted living facilities have specific rights in regard to their care, medical treatment and living conditions. At our New York City law firm, we believe in acting as strong
advocates for the rights of elderly patients and residents in these facilities.
Attorney Steven Melnik at our firm can act not only to assert your rights to ensure fair treatment and proper care but can also assist you in taking legal action if you or a loved one has been the victim of improper treatment in a New York City area nursing home.
A patient in a nursing home or resident of an assisted living facility has the following basic rights:
- The right to proper medical care, as well as the right to be well-informed in regard to treatment. A patient also has the right to refuse medical treatment or medication.
- The right to be treated with respect and dignity.
- The right to be informed in writing regarding various services and fees that the facility provides.
- The right to manage your own money or to assign someone to do this for you.
- The right to privacy.
- The right to keep and use one's personal belongings.
Protecting Your Loved Ones
A violation of these rights may mean that you have grounds for a civil lawsuit against the facility or caregiver. To discuss your options and to find out more about how we can help you, contact a New York City elder law lawyer at our offices. We can protect your rights as a patient and can assist you in seeking the right options for long term care from a financial standpoint, protecting your
assets and seeking the coverage you deserve under
Medicaid or a similar program.
Contact the Melnik Law Group, PLLC today to stand up for your rights!. We help clients in Brooklyn, Manhattan and all of NYC.